Shepherd’s pie is a traditional British dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. It is said to have originated in the 18th century as a way to use leftover meat from Sunday roasts. The dish consisted of a layer of minced meat (usually lamb or mutton) covered in a layer of mashed potatoes and baked in the oven.
The Classic Recipe for Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 pound of ground lamb or beef.
- 1 large onion, diced.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 2 carrots, diced.
- 2 stalks of celery, diced.
- 1 cup of frozen peas.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme.
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary.
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil.
- 1 teaspoon of dried marjoram.
- 2 cups of chicken broth.
- 3 cups of mashed potatoes.
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, brown the ground meat over medium heat until cooked through.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the skillet and cook until softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste and herbs and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the frozen peas and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a large baking dish.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over the meat mixture, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the top is golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Variations of Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s pie is a versatile dish that can be made with different types of meat, vegetables, and seasonings. Some common variations include:
- Cottage pie: This is a similar dish to shepherd’s pie but is made with beef instead of lamb.
- Vegetarian shepherd’s pie: This version is made with a mixture of veggies like carrots, corn, green beans, and peas instead of meat.
- Sweet potato shepherd’s pie: Instead of regular mashed potatoes, this version uses sweet potatoes for a sweeter and creamier taste.
- Curried shepherd’s pie: This version is made with a mixture of spices like cumin, coriander, and garam masala for a spicy kick.
Shepherd’s pie is a classic British dish that is enjoyed by people all over the world. It is easy to make and can be customized to suit personal preferences. Whether you like it traditional with lamb or beef or prefer a vegetarian or spicy version, there is a shepherd’s pie for everyone. So why not try making this comforting dish today and enjoy its delicious taste and warm comfort!